Here is how you can do some unique and creative things with comments in Excel:
You can download the file here and follow along. If you get a preview, look for the download arrow in the upper right hand corner.
Four interesting things you can do with comments in Excel:
– change color
– change shape
– change outline
– add photo/caption photo
To change the color of the comment from the Excel default, enter a comment, right-click on the border, and select Format Comment:
From here you can select any of the color options available on the “Colors and Lines” tab:
This takes a bit more effort. In Excel 2013, there is no option on the Ribbon, so you need to add a Change Shape icon to the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT). To do so, click on the down arrow at the right end of the QAT and select “More Commands”. Choose All Commands from the drop down, the go to Change Shape and add it to the QAT:
Now you have the Change Shape icon added to the QAT:
Now, click on the edge of your comment to put it in the edit mode, choose Change Shape from the QAT, and try all the different shapes available:
As with changing the color of the comment, right-click on the edge of your comment and select Format Comment. From the Colors and Lines tab you can change the style, thickness and color of your border. This will also change the color of the connecting line back to the comment cell:
Add Photo/Caption Photo:
Finally, if you want to have a photo pop up instead of a text comment, follow these steps:
– insert a comment in your cell
– delete any text including your name from the cell
– right-click on the cell and select the option to show the comment
– right-click on the edge of the comment and choose Format Comment
– from the Fill section on the Colors and Lines tab, click the down arrow for the Color option and choose Fill Effects…:
– from the Picture tab, choose Select Picture….
…then click on the Browse button to find a photo on your computer that you want to use.
– click OK and OK again and your photo should now be your comment
You can edit the comment to add any text you want on your comment and you can change the font, style, and format of that text to suit your desired need.
I hope all this helps and is useful for you.